Common Questions

Motorcycle Accident FAQ

Answers from a Reno Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, there are some important things you need to know. From filing a claim with your insurance company to discussing your case with a lawyer, we have the answers you need. Our goal as Reno motorcycle accident attorneys is to secure maximum financial compensation on your behalf. Listed below are answers we have provided to some of the most frequently asked questions about motorcycle accidents and claims.

I wasn't wearing a helmet. Will this affect my claim?
In the state of Nevada, motorcyclists are required to wear helmets. Failure to wear a helmet could potentially reduce the value of your claim if you are hit by a negligent driver. While you may not be held completely liable, it could reduce the total value of your insurance claim.

Will my case go to court?
Most motor vehicle accident cases do not go to court, but rather are settled before trial is necessary. In some rare cases, a motorcycle accident may go to civil court, but this is typically reserved for very severe cases (such as wrongful death lawsuits).

What is the difference between hiring an attorney and just going through insurance?
If you are involved in an accident while riding a motorcycle, you should contact your insurance company to file a claim as soon as possible. Many people also choose to retain an attorney because they want the maximum value for their claim, which the insurance company often does not give. Attorneys may find additional areas for compensation that the insurance company did not include in the first settlement offer.

Is there a time limit for filing my motorcycle accident claim?
In the state of Nevada, the statute of limitations for filing personal injury claims is two years from the date of the injury or two years from the date that the injury was discovered. Personal injury claims are different than reporting an accident with your insurance. You should notify your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident.

Are motorcyclists treated differently than drivers in accident cases?
In many ways, motorcycle and car accident cases are treated the same way. In order to make a recovery, the insurance company will take into account things like your medical bills, the police report, witness testimony and property (vehicle) damage.

What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
In the state of Nevada there is something called comparative fault law. This law states that a driver can make a recovery even if they were partially at fault for an accident, so long as they were not more than 50 percent at fault. If you were 20 percent at fault, for example, you could recover up to 80 percent.

Can I get more than what the insurance company is offering me?
In many cases, yes, but this is difficult to know for sure without discussing your case with a third party. Contact a Reno motorcycle accident attorney from Shook & Stone and we can evaluate your case to determine if there is additional compensation to be had.

Do dirt bike accidents fall into the same category as motorcycle accidents?
The major difference between dirt bike accidents and motorcycle accidents is that many dirt bikes are not equipped to operate legally on roads and highways. If a road-equipped dirt bike is involved in a road accident, then essentially this would be dealt with the same way as a regular motorcycle accident.

Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Reno and Carson City, Nevada

If you or someone you love has been involved in a motorcycle accident, please do not hesitate to contact a Reno motorcycle accident lawyer at Shook & Stone. We provide free consultations to answer questions and provide legal counsel. Call today.

We're Here to Help No Fees Unless We Win.

Connect with our attorneys for a free case evaluation